At Thanksgiving I was given a mission. My two older grandsons both decided that they had out grown the quilts I made for them on their 3rd & 4th birthdays. They requested new quilts with “big boy” material. (As opposed to ABCs, teddy bears, etc.) So, on black Friday I made a trip to JoAnn’s and picked up a bunch of novelty quilt material. (Along with a bolt of camouflage flannel to make them new pajamas–but that’s another story.) I wasn’t able to start on the quilts until after Christmas, a while after, since I was sick with a bad cold for several weeks.
Since the primary purpose of the quilts was to display the novelty prints, I cut wide, long strips and pieced them together in rows. I mixed the prints around and picked a different fabric for each quilt for the borders to make them different, even though I was (mostly) using the same material. I cut and sewed the binding strips out of a dark green from my stash. I thought the green went well with both the border prints.
When they visited last week for March Spring break, I had their quilts ready. Here they are, side-by-side, lying on the quilting machine.
The quilting is different on each one.
The difference in the arrangement of the fabric:
Thanks for looking. 🙂